February 25, 2010

"Riverside" style bench

This is a requested custom bench and will not be available for sale. With this bench we will be using red oak wood and a "Minwax" colonial maple stain. The illustration will be a "Jumping Brown" and the bench style is the "Riverside". Dave started by hand cutting and sanding the back blank with 320 grit and then staining the piece which gives a nice smooth surface for the drawing. The bench and drawing may take up to a week or more depending on the subject and colors involved. Each one is hand-drawn from a specific photo by request or just drawn with a subject request without specific design.
While the drawing is being completed the bench, sides, tool and spool holders are hand cut and sanded with 320 grit sandpaper. The drawings are woodburned and then the coloring medium is applied using pencils and various techniques. Later it is assembled using glue and dowel construction; you will not find any staples   (we never use them).

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Conneaut Creek, PA, United States
I started making turkey box calls about 8 years ago when I needed a hobby; I was a Vol. Firefighter/EMT for 22 years and Capt. the last 12. I never had time for a hobby then, I guess firefighting was my hobby and getting time to bowhunt back then was cherished. I took woodshop in school with the same teacher all 6 yrs. and I learned a lot from him, that started my passion for woodworking. Anyway, needing a hobby I combined my two passions; woodworking and the outdoors..being an NWTF member..what was better than turkey calls, and later hunting stuff; it was the natural thing to do. I recently took up fly fishing and made a few friends that needed some woodworking done for them so now I make fishing related stuff too.

Followers